I want to start a new weekly post with meal ideas to help with your weekly meal plan using items from the weekly MARTIN’S ad. Because I am planning on posting these on Wednesday or Thursday of each week these are items that will help you for the next week. (I got hit with a stomach bug this week and it has pushed me back a day.)
I have found that something as simple as taking 15 minutes early in the week to plan out meals for the week and making sure that have the ingredients on hand makes my life so much easier. The key to menu planning is having some flexibility. You have to be flexible enough to move things around for nights that you forgot to defrost your meat, got home later than you intended, or your husband surprises you with an unexpected sitter and meal out.
I am going to focus on a few meals and try to give you some links or my own recipes with the majority of the items either coming from the sale ad or items I keep in my stockpile. The Super Bowl is next week and there are already some deals on party foods if you are hosting a Super Bowl party so I am also including those this week.
Super Bowl Party Menu
Chips & Dip
- Lay’s Classic Potato Chips are 50% off (they were $1.99/bag at the store near me)
- Dean’s Dips – $1 or buy 2 and use this coupon and get them for $0.50 each.
Chips & Salsa
- Lissa shared that she found the Chi-Chi’s Salsa for $1.66 combined with the $0.50/1 coupon in the 12/12 SmartSource makes it only $0.66.
- Newman’s Own Salsa (16oz) is $2. Use the $0.50/1 coupon in the 1/23 RedPlum Insert and get it for $1.
- Grande Tortilla Chips are $2.50. Buy 2 and use the $1.50/2 coupon SmartSource Insert they will be $1.75 a bag.
- Mama Lucia’s Italian or Homestyle Meatballs (12oz) – Buy One Get One Free (I saw them for ~$3.98/box)
- GIANT Chili Sauce – $1
- Add either Grape Jelly (~16oz) or Jellied Cranberries
Mix the 2 boxes of meatballs, the entire jar of chili sauce, and either the grape jelly or the cranberries together in a crock pot. Cook them on high for about 3-4 hours or low for 6 hours. Make sure they are warmed through.
- Fresh Ground Beef (73% lean) is available in 5lb packages for $4.95
- 3 lb of Yellow Onions for $2
- GIANT Canned Tomatoes are $0.59 a can.
- Sauer’s Chili Seasoning Mix – $0.79
If you don’t have a chili recipe here is a recipe. I haven’t made this one, but it looks like a good basic recipe to get you started. You should be able to get a can of beans and tomato sauce for less than $1.50. We like to have a little bit of cheese and sour cream on top of our chili. They are also on sale this week. GIANT sour cream is $1.29 (16oz) and you can get the Heluva Good brand cheese for $0.67 by using the $0.55/1 coupon in the 12/12 SmartSource Insert or this $0.50/1 coupon. If you like it hot add some Tabasco sauce – free after sale and using this $0.50/1 coupon (must register).
This would be great for your Super Bowl Party. Serve it with the tortilla chips I mentioned earlier or you can make this a meal with baked potatoes and salad.
- 5lb bag of Russet Potatoes - $2
- Dole Special Blend Salads or Complete Kits – $2
Slow Cooker Barbeque Sandwiches & French Fries:
I like to pick up a Fresh Whole Shoulder Pork Roast when they are on sale and just stick it in my slow cooker with a bottle of barbeque sauce. Depending on the barbeque sauce I may add some brown sugar, soy sauce, hot sauce, or whatever I am in the mood for. I cook it on low for 6-8 hours (varies with size of the roast), then I take it out and chop it. Pick-up a bag of Ore-Ida French Fries for $2.50 and you have a carry-out meal without paying carry-out prices. (You could also make you own potato wedges with the russet potatoes on sale.) This usually makes lots of barbeque, more than we need for even two meals so I routinely freeze the leftovers. The leftovers make a great quick weekend meal.
Sandra Lee’s Pork Ragu over Penne:
I saw Sandra Lee make this recipe on The Food Network and thought it would be really easy and with the Fresh Whole Pork Shoulder Roast on Sale this week for $0.99/lb it would be really inexpensive. The diced tomatoes are on sale for $0.59 a can and GIANT pasta is on sale this week for $0.75 a box. I really wanted to try out her Round 2 Recipe – Lasagna Roll Ups for the rest of the pork. I love the idea of cooking once and getting two different meals.
Spaghetti & Meatballs:
How can you go wrong with spaghetti & meatballs – if you have a toddler in all white and no bib. :) I feel guilty making spaghetti and meatballs because it is so easy to pull together, yet it goes over so well with my family.
- GIANT Pasta – $0.75
- Newman’s Own Pasta Sauce – $0.89 (after using the $0.50/1 coupon in the 1/23 RedPlum Insert
- Mama Lucia’s Meatballs (12oz) – Buy One Get One Free ($3.98 at the store near me)
- Dole Special Blend Salads or Complete Kits – $2
- New York Texas Garlic Toast – $1.19-$1.39 with the $0.40/1 coupon in the 11/14 SmartSource Insert OR $0.50/1 coupon in the February issue of All You Magazine
We love breakfast for dinner.
- Aunt Jemima Pancake Mix – $2
- Aunt Jemima Syrup – $2.50
- GIANT Sliced Bacon – $3.33
- Jones Golden Brown Sausage Links or Patties – Buy One Get One Free
- Bob Evans Breakfast Sausage Links or Patties – $2 when you use this $0.50/1 coupon
- Simply Potatoes Buy One Get One Free
A dozen eggs is about $2. You could round out the meal with a yogurt smoothie. Buy 3 Stonyfield Yogurts for $0.50 with this $0.50/3 coupon (must register) and add in some fresh blueberries $2.50 (6oz) or a mango ($1.25) and whatever else you like.
These are just some ideas that I had. I love reading recipes and trying out new things in the kitchen so if you have ideas or recipes to share please feel free to pass them on.
Have a great weekend!