Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Free Antibiotics at MARTIN’S

As a mom of three little ones and a pharmacist I am well aware of how expensive it can be when someone gets sick or gets hurt and needs to see a doctor.  I have been to the doctor every Friday for the last 3 weeks.  Once for Michael’s 4-month check-up.  The other two were unplanned visits. 

This past Friday, Natalie and Megan were playing outside in the snow.  I was watching them from the window and feeding Michael when Megan started crying and Natalie started saying “I didn’t mean to, it was an accident!”  Megan came inside and I found out exactly what had happened.  Natalie was playing with a plastic shovel and was “shoveling” the sidewalk.  She was really swinging the shovel full of snow up into the air and letting it fall on her head.  Megan got too close and the shovel hit her in the face, across her eye.  I was looking at her eye after she calmed down, and it was still red she was also having trouble opening up her eye.  I wasn’t sure if some of the ice in the snow had scratched her eye or not.  I don’t like to take chances with eyes – you only have one set.  I decided I would pack everyone up and head to the pediatrician and have them check her out.  I was glad that I did because she did end up having a small scratch on her eye.  Thankfully it wasn’t anything major.  The pediatrician and I decided to be cautious and treat her with some antibiotic eye drops.  I went to MARTIN’S to get her prescription filled and expected to pay the $10 generic co-pay.  I was pleasantly surprised to find out the eye drops were one of the free antibiotics that MARTIN’S Pharmacy offers – and it is sad that I didn’t remember that since I am a MARTIN’S pharmacist. 

Being able to get your antibiotic for free is really nice after you had to pay for a doctor visit and then sometimes need to buy an over-the-counter item in addition to your prescription.  There are only select antibiotics that are free.  To view the list go here and if you have any questions feel free to call your local MARTIN’S pharmacy.  One last thing -  don’t forget that MARTIN’S also has a $4 for a 30-day supply and $10 for a 90-day supply on select generic drugs. 

I do want to put out a disclaimer that I was not asked to write this post nor was I given anything for writing this post.  I am a part-time MARTIN’S pharmacist and I just thought it would be nice to remind my readers about another way to save money during the cough and cold season.

~Ann

No comments: