Sunday, August 30, 2009

Conviction

I was sitting in the morning service this morning listening to our pastor bring us a sermon from the Book of John. He just started his series on John a few weeks ago so we were finishing up the first chapter. He was pointing out the part where Christ calls the first disciples (John 1:35-42) and points out the excitement these men had and how they immediately went out and started telling others that they had found the Messiah.

He gave a modern day illustration of how excited we get in our lives when we find something we think is a great. It could be a new restaurant, it could be a new product, or a sale. It hit me - I get really excited when I find a great sale. I want to let everyone know about it. I take pictures of my purchases. (Isn't that a little over the top?) Why is it that I am not as excited about Christ? I should be - He died for me. It is through him that I have eternal life (John 3:16). I became a Christian when I was a child. I was 7 years old and in the first grade. Just because it has been a "few" years since I accepted Christ as my savior doesn't mean that it is ok for me to be complacent with my walk with Him. I am going to challenge myself to be more excited for Christ in my everyday life and to be as excited talking about Him as I am when I talk about how much I saved with my sales and coupons. I hope that anyone reading this is willing to join me in this challenge.

No comments: