Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Preparing for Baby #3 – Part III

If you missed part I or part II of my series feel free to go back and read those posts so that you can join me on my journey.

I entered into the beginning of my third trimester around the middle of May.  I had to start working Sunday’s at MARTIN’S.  Having to work on Sunday’s (thankfully not every one) really has affected my availability to participate with activities not just with our church, but also with our family. 

We went to my parent’s house for Mother’s Day.  While we were there my mom, sister, and I sat down to work on the final details of the bridal shower we were planning for my soon-to-be sister-in-law.  We knew that the week of the shower was going to be a whirlwind week.  The week of the shower we were also going to a retirement party for my mom, and celebrating Megan’s second birthday.  Steve helped me pack up the car with all of the serving pieces, decorations,  and food I was bringing down for the shower and Megan’s party in addition to the normal things I would take for a four night stay.  Steve came down after getting off work on Friday and spent the weekend with us.  The shower went well.  The guest enjoyed the food, complimented us on the decorations, and showered the bride-to-be with lots of generous gifts.  Megan’s birthday was a little bit more low-key but went well.  It was hot outside so the highlight of the party was the ice cream cake. 

Steve and I booked our tickets for our trip to London in early June.  Steve needed to be there for business Monday through Wednesday.  I had to work Saturday and Sunday before he left.  We ended up flying separately, Steve and a co-worker left Saturday night (it is a 7 hour flight plus a 5 hour time difference).  I ended up leaving Monday night and arriving Tuesday morning.  We left the girls with an amazing baby sitting team.  I got to spend the first day sleeping and recovering from the jet lag.  I visited Windsor and Windsor Castle on Wednesday while Steve finished up the business part of his trip.  We hopped on a train and actually went into London for the rest of the week on Thursday.  We got to take a Thames River Cruise, toured the Tower of London, went shopping at Harrods, saw the Broadway play Wicked, got to see the Queen at a parade in her honor, toured Westminster Abbey, rode the London Eye, enjoyed tea time and fish ‘n chips, and even “minded the gap” on the Underground.  It was a great trip and one last opportunity for Steve and I to spend some time together before the baby arrives.

My brother got married in early July and once again the girls and I left early in the week to help out with last minute details while Steve came down and caught up with us the Friday before the wedding.  The girls were flower girls in the wedding.  They were adorable and provided a good show for the guests at the wedding.

I had one more church-wide reception the second week of July I was in charge of before the baby arrives.  This reception was in honor of a missionary family that is on a temporary home assignment.  I went with finger sandwiches, raw veggies and dip, and asked ladies in the church to bake brownies and we added cream cheese icing.  Because of the extreme heat we have had this summer the thought of turning on the ovens in the church kitchen was the last thing I wanted.

I had told myself that after the bridal shower, our trip to London, my brother’s wedding, and the missionary fellowship that I was going to slow down and start focusing on really getting ready for the new baby.

I’ll save all of those preparations for my next post. 

No comments: