Friday, May 6, 2011

Menu Planning with the MARTIN’S Ad

Menu planning and saving money really can go hand-in-hand.  It is important to realize that you can still enjoy some of your family’s favorite meals by menu planning with a sales flyer, you just need to be flexible. 

I am including ideas and recipes for four meals for the week.  As I’ve mentioned before, I have found that I really only cook on average four meals a week and that we end up having at least one left-over night, one meal out, and something easy like homemade pizza or breakfast for dinner.

Slow Cooker Barbecue:

I like to pick up a Fresh Whole Shoulder Pork Roast when they are on sale ($0.99/lb this week) and just stick it in my slow cooker with a bottle or two of barbeque sauce (as low as $0.50 each when you buy 2 and use the $1/2 coupon from the Kraft Food & Family).  Depending on the barbeque sauce I may add some brown sugar, soy sauce, hot sauce, or whatever I am in the mood for.  I cook it on low for 6-8 hours (varies with size of the roast), then I take it out and chop it.  You can serve it on the GIANT brand rolls that are $1 a pack this week.  Feel free to serve it with a salad check out this post about the Dole Salad deal or with the Rold Gold Pretzels that are $1.50 each when you buy 2 bags and use the $2/2 coupon from the Pepsico insert

Baked Chicken:

I like to bake a few of the split chicken breast when I can find them on sale (they are 50% off this week).  I just simply place them on a baking sheet and rub a little oil over them and sprinkle them with salt and pepper.  They usually bake at 350 for about 40-50 minutes (depending on the size).  You can easily serve it with a salad and whatever starch you have on hand like rice, couscous, or quinoa.  It is a healthy and delicious meal. 

When I find them on sale I like to buy and bake a few extra chicken breasts.  When they are cool enough to touch, pull the meat off the bone and chop it.  Here are some ideas for meals to make with your leftover cooked chicken.

Chicken Salad Sandwiches:

Are you looking for a new twist on your basic chicken salad?  I highly recommend this recipe.  I made it this fall and served it for a ladies luncheon at our church.  This is not a recipe for the calorie conscious – you must use the heavy whipping cream.  It is what makes this recipe go from good to great.  If you don’t want to buy grapes I actually used craisins (they are 10% off this week).  The Arnold Bread and Sandwich Thins that are 50% off would be a great way to serve this hearty salad.  If you want to serve some healthy sides you could have some baby carrots that are $1.67 for a 1-lb. bag and some fresh strawberries that are $2.

Spicy Black Bean & Chicken Enchiladas:

I love this recipe.  It was one of the dishes I made and placed in the freezer before Michael was born.  It is a great way to use leftover chicken (although I have baked chicken just to make this recipe).  I don’t use the American cheese they have listed in the ingredients, I just use shredded cheddar (Kraft shredded is $2 this week).   The Nature’s Promise brand of canned beans are on sale this week for $1 each and you can pick-up a jar of Newman’s Own Salsa for $1 after sale and the $0.50/1 coupon in the 3/20 RedPlum insert.  If you don’t have tortillas you can pick up one of the Old El Paso kits that are on sale for $2 and use just the tortillas – save the rest of the kit for another meal.  You may want to buy enough ingredients to make a second batch for the freezer.  That is what I usually do.  :)

Happy Menu Planning!

~Ann

No comments: