Friday, April 22, 2011

Menu Planning with the MARTIN’S Ad

Menu planning and saving money really can go hand-in-hand.  It is important to realize that you can still enjoy some of your family’s favorite meals by menu planning with a sales flyer, you just need to be flexible. 

I am including ideas and recipes for four meals for the week.  As I’ve mentioned before, I have found that I really only cook on average four meals a week and that we end up having at least one left-over night, one meal out, and something easy like homemade pizza or breakfast for dinner.

I wanted to look at recipes this week that featured ham.  If you aren’t preparing a ham for your Easter meal it is still a good time to pick-up one.  This week’s price for ham is a good stock-up price. (I haven’t tried it, but I have read they will keep well in your freezer for two months.)  We probably won’t see it on sale again until Thanksgiving and Christmas. 

 

Slow Cooker Ham:

If you have read a few of my menu planning blog post you have probably picked up on how much I love to use my slow cooker.  I saw this recipe (with great reviews) and only two ingredients and I didn’t look any further.  This could be a great recipe for your Easter dinner, or a nice weeknight meal thanks to your slow cooker.  I enjoy sweet potatoes with ham and you could bake your own with the Louisiana Yams on sale for $0.69/lb.  I think it wouldn’t be a Spring meal without a side of asparagus on sale this week for $1.99/lb. 

Now that you baked the whole ham what do you do with the leftovers besides eat ham sandwiches?

Delicious Ham & Potato Soup:

I made this soup last fall and it was delicious!  I am actually looking forward to having leftover ham so that I could make it again.  I did want to share that I did change one thing.  I didn’t have any chicken bouillon granules so instead I just omitted some of the water and added 2 cups of my own homemade chicken stock.  I enjoy soups like this with “crusty breads” like the Ecce Panis Simple Neo Tuscan Boule on sale for $2.50 this week.  You could serve this with a salad to lighten the meal and make it more appealing on a warmer day.  The Dole Special Blend Salads or Complete Kits are on sale this week for $2.50.

 

Ham Quiche:

I wanted to share this recipe for a wonderful quiche that I have made before.  It is not the healthiest quiche recipe and it requires a lot of ingredients.  I found this recipe that looks similar and I saw reviews from people who subbed milk (even skim) in place of the half & half.  The Pillsbury refrigerated pie crust are on sale this week for $2.50 and if you buy 2 and use the $0.50/2 printable you will get them for $2 each.  The shredded cheese is on sale this week for $2 and is an even better deal when you combine it with the Easter Savings Spend $15 and Save $5 Instantly promotion.   Quiche is a really versatile main dish, you can serve it with some fresh fruit, a salad, or a side of steamed vegetables.  It is all up to what you are in the mood for or what you have on hand. 

Ham & Potato Au Gratin:

This is a great traditional comfort food recipe.  I really liked this recipe because it doesn’t rely on canned soup and you are making the cheese sauce from scratch.  The Yukon Gold potatoes are on sale this week ($3.49/5lb - potato season is pretty much over), and of course the shredded cheese is a great deal this week with the Easter Savings Spend $15 and Save $5 Instantly promotion.  I would pull a bag of frozen vegetables out of my freezer, but if you don’t have any frozen veggies and don’t want to pay the everyday price pick up a can of Del Monte vegetables for $0.67 a can.

Happy Menu Planning!

~Ann

No comments: