Thursday, June 30, 2011

Menu Planning with the MARTIN’S Ad

Menu planning and saving money really can go hand-in-hand.  It is important to realize that you can still enjoy some of your family’s favorite meals by menu planning with a sales flyer, you just need to be flexible. 

I am including ideas and recipes for four meals this week.  I have found that I really only cook on average four meals a week and that we end up having at least one left-over night, one meal out, and something easy like homemade pizza or breakfast for dinner.

Coupons mentioned in this post that do not state where you can find them are listed in my weekly top deals post.  Feel free to check it out for deals on other items that you can pick-up to fill your refrigerator or pantry for less. 

Slow-Cooker Barbecue Chicken:

I know that last week I shared with you how I like to make barbecue pork in my slow cooker.  I use the same recipe, but with boneless, skinless chicken breast.  It is so simple I feel guilty when people ask me how I did it.  I just place the raw chicken in the slow-cooker and cover it with barbecue sauce.  Depending on the barbecue sauce I may add some brown sugar, soy sauce, hot sauce, or whatever I am in the mood for.  I cook it on low for 6-8 hours (varies with how many chicken breast I am cooking), then I take it out and chop it. I recently got the Salad Chopper from the Pampered Chef – they make is so easy to shred.  I routinely make extra just to freeze the leftovers.   The leftovers make a great quick weekend meal. 

This can be a great quick meal when you use the GIANT brand hamburger rolls that are $1 this week or the Ballpark Rolls that are $1 after sale and coupon.  You can enjoy a side of fresh corn on the cob, only $0.20 an ear this week, and a bag of chips for an easy summer meal. 

Teriyaki Pork Tenderloin:

I found this recipe on allrecipes.com to use with one of the Hatfield Simply Tender Pork Loin Filet.  I saw that one of the reviewers said that she dumped the whole thing in the slow-cooker and cooked it on low for 6 hours and I was sold.  I think this would be a great meal to serve with just a simple green salad.  (Don’t forget about the Dole Salad Deal.)  I always enjoy fresh bread with this type of meal so stop by the bakery for a loaf of the Ecce Panis Semolina Batard. 

Turkey Burgers:

If you are looking for a healthy alternative to your cook-out this weekend, but still really want a burger this is the recipe for you.  You can still have all of the traditional cookout sides such as the corn on the cob that is on sale this week or a salad (with the Dole Salad deal), and some fresh berries like the blueberries that are $2 each or the strawberries that are $2.50 this week.

Pasta Salad:

If you are looking for a basic recipe to make your own pasta salad this is it.  The Wacky Mac Pasta is only $0.50 a bag this week thanks to sale and coupons.  This can also be a way to use one of your extra bottles of salad dressing from the Dole Salad deal.  Pasta salad can be really refreshing and either a side dish or a full meal in the summer.  You can add some leftover grilled chicken or sausage to it to make it more filling or just add some more fresh vegetables if you want something lighter.  Feel free to change up the vegetables or the cheese to suit your preferences.  The beauty of pasta salad is that it with the pasta and the veggies it can be a complete meal all in one. 

Happy Menu Planning!

~Ann

No comments: