(Not pictured 4 fridge packs of Diet Coke with Lime)
I purchased all of this in one trip to the store, but in about 14 different transactions. I try to do the small transactions at the self-checkout so that I don’t hold up people in line behind me. I like to do separate transactions for a few reasons.
- I can double more coupons if I divide up my multiple items into separate transactions. That means I save more and spend less.
- I like to make sure that certain promotions are coming off like they should. I did 5 transactions for just the General Mills cereals (combined with other items). I wanted to make sure my $6 came off and I got the milk Catalina each time. I also do this for fuelperks! deals.
- I was able to use two of the $0.30/gallon coupons that came with this week’s ad in the Sunday paper. I made sure I had $50 before coupons and then did a separate transaction with the rest of my groceries that were over $50 before coupons.
Here are the highlights of my shopping trip: (if you are looking for coupon match-ups check-out this post)
- (8) Zone Bars – $0.25 each ($0.55/1 coupon from 5/22 SmartSource)
- (10) Rolls of Scott Toilet Paper & (10) Packs of Scott Naturals Wipes – a $3 money maker ($0.30 on each transaction) after I used the $0.50/1 coupon on the wipes found in the 5/22 and 6/19 SmartSource inserts and earned a $2 Catalina with each purchase.
- (20) Boxes of General Mills Cereals for $15.72 (that is $0.79 each!).
- I also earned (5) Catalina’s for a free gallon of milk with the purchase of each 4 boxes of cereal. The milk Catalina automatically takes off $4.50 regardless of the price of your milk!
- Six of the boxes of Cheerios had a coupon on the back for $1.50 off Pampers. That is another $9 I can save on future transactions!
- Stonyfield Farm Organic Milk was free thanks to one of my free milk Catalina’s. Yes - you can use your milk Catalina on organic half-gallons!
- I found a Fred Flintstone sized Ribeye Steak (really 1.45lb) marked down 50% off to $7.24 – it is more than enough for us to cut it in half and each have half.
- I found a 1.03lb package of 92% Ground Beef marked down 50% to $2.26.
- (4) jars of Baby Food for $0.21. I had a coupon for $0.75/1 (it said Do Not Double) and I earned a $1 from buying the two boxes of Baby Cereal (which of course I also had a coupon for.)
Shelf Total (before markdowns, sales, coupons, or tax): $278.83
Final Total (after markdowns, sales, coupons, before tax): $114.36
Total Savings: $164.47 (59%)
I also “earned” and haven’t redeemed $12 in Catalina’s from the Scott deal and $18 in free milk vouchers.
How did you do this week? Did you find any great deals or markdown items? Please feel free to share!