Monday, August 22, 2011

How I Spent my $10 for the RVA Coupon Pros School Supply Challenge

I mentioned about a month ago in this post about meeting up with some other frugal bloggers in the Richmond area for lunch.  We were given a challenge to see how many school supplies we could buy for $10 (pre tax) and not a penny more.  Kroger graciously decided to match what we were able to buy up to $1000 and decided to up the ante and offered us three prizes (a $200, a $100, and a $50 Kroger gift card for first, second, and third place).

I am not going to deny that it wouldn’t be nice to win one of the gift cards and have bragging rights, but the true winners in all of this are the children of the Boys & Girls Club of Metro Richmond.  They are the ones who will receive all of the school supplies we collected.  This was a fun challenge that allowed me to have the thrill of the bargain hunt and help out others at the same time. 

So – how did I do?  I ended up $214.80 worth of school supplies that after sales, coupons, and rebates I purchased for $10 (pre-tax) – and of course being a blogger I took a picture to share.  :)

DSC_8150

Here is the breakdown:

  • 2 packs of crayons
  • 6 bottles of glue
  • 7 rulers
  • 3 compasses
  • 3 packs of highlighters
  • 1 pack of permanent markers
  • 24 packs of pens
  • 4 packs of pencils
  • 1 pack of mechanical pencils
  • 17 folders
  • 4 packs of cap erasers
  • 2 packs of index cards
  • 8 packs of notebook paper
  • 3 composition books
  • 13 spiral one subject notebooks
  • 7 three-ring binders
  • 4 reams of paper
  • 1 backpack

I can’t wait until Thursday when I get to drop off what I bought and see what everyone else was able to get.  (I have seen a few pictures that people have posted on the RVA Coupon Pros facebook page.)  I will try to remember my camera to take a few pictures and show you how much we were able to collect.  If any of you participated and are going to be at the drop off on Thursday be on the look out for me – I would love to talk to you face to face.

~Ann

3 comments:

Saving Our Way said...

Really nice job, Ann! Look forward to seeing you on Thursday!

debbielynne said...

Looks great and it looks like you stuck to the limits! I can't make the meet-up on Thursday because of work, but hope to meet you in the future. Thanks for all the Martin's posts!

Ann said...

Thanks Eleanor!

Debbie - I am sorry you can't be there. I would offer to meet you to pick up your school supplies, but I am on the West End of Richmond so probably almost an hour away. Hopefully we can meet up in person another time in the future. :)