Thursday, September 15, 2011

Another great back door delivery!

DSC_8255

Wednesday afternoons are when I get my bi-weekly delivery from Dominion Harvest.  I know that you think that I am a little crazy to get excited about produce, but I can’t get over how much I love it!  One of the things that I really like is that the delivery is challenging us to try food that I normally wouldn’t have bought and it is allowing me to save some fresh vegetables for later use. 

I like eggplant, Steve will eat it, and now my kids will eat it– a little.  Eggplant is something that I would buy very infrequently at the store.  Dominion Harvest sends out recipes every week after they deliver the boxes for ideas of ways that you can utilize all of the produce they send you.  I honestly haven’t tried any, but I have enjoyed reading them.  I am hoping to use my eggplant this week to try and make this recipe for Baba Ghannouj

Butternut squash is another thing that I don’t buy on a regular basis for us.  I bought it when I was making baby food, and discovered how much I like it.  I am looking forward to trying out a recipe I made last year from Weight Watchers for oven baked butternut squash fries.  They turned out really great when I made them before and I even saved out the seeds and roasted them (like pumpkin seeds) and enjoyed them as a snack. 

I am planning on chopping and freezing some of the onions and green peppers.  It will be great to have them on hand for things like chili and spaghetti sauce. The lettuce will be used for a salad, on sandwiches, or maybe even lettuce wraps.  The cucumbers will also be used in either salad, or sliced for snacking.   

I am really excited about the jar – it is fresh local honey!  I read somewhere recently that if you eat local honey it will help with seasonal allergies.  I don’t know if this is true or not, but I am looking forward to using it. The real problem that I have is trying to decide how I am going to use it first.

I have been trying to keep track of what I get and how much these items would cost in the store and without a doubt I feel like the $37 I am paying for a box every two weeks is definitely worth it.  Thanks Dominion Harvest!

No comments: