Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Deals from Double Coupon Wednesday at Ukrop's

I really have been trying to limit the pantry items that I buy these days.  My pantry is so full that unless it is a really great deal or I know what I am going to use it for, I am not allowing myself to buy it.  I have also come to the point in my stockpiling and couponing that unless I know I am going to use the product or I can donate it - I am saying no.  This even applies to free items.  (My favorite things!)  I just feel wasteful and I hate having to throw stuff out - especially perishables.  So, I am really limiting what I buy these days, not for budget reasons, but because I am trying to make sure that I am a good steward of all that we have and that includes space.

I really think my attempt at menu-planning has helped me with this turn of events.  It has forced me to look in the pantry for what I have and to see how little I need to pick-up to make a meal happen.  A tool that I have found really helpful is the ingredient search function on the allrecipes website.  It allows you to enter ingredients you want to use and those you don't want in addition to keywords. 

So enough about my overflowing pantry - I know you want to really see the picture and breakdown of my shopping trip.



(1) Betty Crocker Lemon Poppy Seed Muffin Mix = $1
(9) Contadina Tomato Sauce (8oz) = $0.16 each *
(1) Garden of Eatin' Blue Corn Tortilla Chips = $0.99
(1) Pepperidge Farm Cinnamon Raisin Swirl Bread = $1.69
(1) Pepperidge Farm Simply Natural Pretzel Thins = $1.40
(5) Skippy Naturals Peanut Butter = $0.80 each
(1) Ukrop's Bakes Baked Spaghetti = $6.02 (on markdown)
(1) Pampers Wipes Tub = $1
(6) Chobani Greek Yogurt = FREE
(1) Egglands Best Eggs (18 ct) = $2.29
(1) Green Giant Nibbler Corn = $1.79
(1) Smithfield Bacon (1lb) = $1.90
Bananas (2.05 lbs) = $1.11
(2) Dole Classic Romaine Salad = $0.39 each
(1) Ukrop's White Potatoes (4 lb bag) = $1.99

Shelf Price (before sales, coupons, and tax): $79.49
Final Price (after sales, coupons, and before tax): $27.37
Total savings = $52.12 (66%)

*I ran into a problem with the Contadina Tomato Sauce.  The shelf tag said it was a multi-week sale (thru 2/27) for 0.49 each.  I noticed when the cashier was ringing me up that they rang up at 0.69 each.  The cashier verified the price and corrected the price for me.  Then when I gave her my coupons for 0.75/3 items the register didn't double the coupon it only credited me an additional 0.23 instead of the full 0.75.  The only thing I can figure is that it doubled the coupon up to the price of two free cans, not all three.  I was a little bummed, but I figure $1.47 for 9 cans isn't a bad deal. 

No comments: