Thursday, April 15, 2010

Making Tortillas

I haven’t been doing a great job in the last week with menu planning, I blame it on going on a mini-vacation last week.  So, Tuesday night when Steve had to go to a dinner for work and I was home alone with the girls I ordered pizza.  I was going to have us eat leftover pizza Wednesday night so that we didn’t have to clean-up too much before going to church.  Then, Steve told me that he has to go out to dinner Thursday night with some co-workers in town from Europe.  I decided to keep the pizza for Thursday night.  That left me with the 4 o’clock dilemma of what to have for dinner.

I decided we could have tacos or burritos.  I have about 5 pounds of ground beef in my refrigerator that Steve picked up for me Monday night at Ukrop’s as part of the Monday only deal.  This would be an easy and quick dinner.  I looked in the pantry and realized that I was out of tortillas.  So, when you decide you want something and still have about 2 hours before dinner and don’t want to take 2 kids to the store for one item what do you do?  You find a recipe and make it yourself.  I found this recipe at allrecipes.com and decided to give it a try.  I figured the worse case scenario would be I would ask Steve to stop and pick some up on his way home.  They turned out really good, were easy, and inexpensive to make.   I don’t know if I will go back to buying flour tortillas again.  The girls also had fun helping me make them. 

Here are some pictures from our tortilla making adventure:

DSC_3178 Whisking our dry ingredients

DSC_3182

Rolling out our individual tortillas

DSC_3183

The girls were making smaller tortillas – one of the larger ones I made is on the counter

DSC_3181

Cooking two of the smaller tortillas in the pan.  I could only get one of the larger ones in the pan at a time.

They didn’t require any oil to cook them in and I kept them warm on an oven-safe plate with the oven turned on to 110 degrees.  I hope if you give them a try you won’t be disappointed. 

1 comment:

Judi B said...

I was recently considering making my own tortillas too! Glad to hear your experience was a good one. Maybe it will make next week's menu plan!