Thursday, December 17, 2009

No more Ukrop's?

It appears that all of the rumors are real this time.  Ukrop's is selling to Ahold.  A European based grocery company that has stores in Virginia under the names of Giant and Martin's. 

I don't think I have shared this on my blog, but I am a Ukrop's employee.  I don't get paid to post match-ups or promote them on my blog.  I get paid to be a pharmacist for Ukrop's.  They have treated me well in the last 5 years that I have worked for them.  I started working for them the week after Thanksgiving 2004.  I was full-time until my first daughter was born in December of 2005.  I maintained my full-time status until I returned to work from my maternity leave in April of 2006.  My boss, the director for Ukrop's Pharmacy, was willing to not only move me to a store closer to my home, but to allow me to work as much or as little as I wanted.  They have continued to work with me over the years adjusting my schedule as needed for them and to make sure it worked for me.  I think my favorite thing about working for Ukrop's has been the luxury of having Sunday's off.  As a pharmacist it is really hard to find a retail pharmacy that is closed on Sunday.  I have also been spoiled by having holidays off - another luxury you don't always find with retail pharmacy jobs.  I have always had off Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day, New Year's Day, Memorial Day, Fourth of July, and Labor Day.

I remember the first day I shopped in a Ukrop's.  I had just moved to Richmond to go to pharmacy school.  I distinctly remember walking into the Mechanicsville store and smelling fresh baked bread.  I knew that Ukrop's and I would be fast friends, and we have been.  Whenever I went home over breaks I would get requests from my family to bring Ukrop's items like their White House Rolls, Chicken Salad, or pies.   I never imagined as a first year pharmacy student that I would find the love of my life (Steve), move back to Richmond, and get a job working for Ukrop's. 

Ukrop's it has been great.  Thanks for everything. 

Please pray for the Ukrop's employees.  It looks like most of the store employees will be ok, but you never know what can happen in a buy-out.  In all honesty in situations like this there are people who don't get to keep their job.  There are lots of families that both spouses are employed by Ukrop's.  Just the uncertainty can cause anxiety.   I am going to be ok.  We are very blessed that Steve has a great job and if I don't get to keep my position I will happily become a full-time stay at home mom.

Thanks for letting me be nostalgic and sentimental.

1 comment:

Alyssa said...

I have my own fond memories of Ukrops and would go back to work for them if I ever didn't have enough playing or teaching. It is a very sad, sad day for Richmonders.