Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Frugal Living Tip #15 - Buy Generic

Buy Generic -Store Brands

As a pharmacist I am always encouraging my patients to buy the generic equivalent of what they needed. This is true of over the counter medications and prescription drugs. There were always a few exceptions, and I won't go into those, but generally speaking store brand ibuprofen is a huge cost savings compared to brand name Advil.

This is true of lots of items in the grocery store. I haven't found coupons in years for a good deal on canned beans or tomato sauce for taco or chili nights. I have learned to wait until I see a good sale or an in-store deal. The store brands will follow the sales cycles that I mentioned a few post back.

Although I have been satisfied with the majority of my store brand purchases, the big one that I haven't been happy with is paper products, like toilet paper, paper towels, and tissues.

How about you, do you buy store brands? Are there some products that you will only buy the brand name?

No comments: