Saturday, January 5, 2013

Frugal Living Tip #5 - Don't Buy It - Make Your Own

Don't Buy It - Make Your Own

I know that some of us are better gifted in this area than others. I have tried to make clothes before, but after the time, frustration, and my poor sewing skills I realized that it was better to buy them when I could find a good deal (like on the clearance rack).

I have discovered that for us I can save money by making things like my own chicken broth. It is super easy to make, it uses items that I have on hand, and best of all I know exactly what is in my chicken broth as opposed to reading a list of ingredients on the side of a box. The same goes with baked goods, and nothing beats a fresh loaf of bread out of the oven!


Homemade gifts are also well received. I enjoy sharing the jams, applesauce, and applebutter that we make throughout the year with friends and family. I figured out how to make a nursing cover when my youngest was born. I have used the same pattern and made several to give to friends. I have fun finding the fabric that fits them and their personality, and it is a fraction of the price compared to buying one in a store.


What are some of your favorite homemade items? I would love to hear what some of you are making instead of buying.

 

No comments: