Sunday, January 20, 2013

Frugal Living Tip #20 - Rebate Checks

Rebate Checks

My Prepaid Rebate Card

I mentioned prepaid rebate gift cards very briefly in my last post. It was coincidental that as I was getting ready to begin this post, I received a $15 prepaid gift card as a rebate from Proctor & Gamble in the mail.

Rebates are not anything new, but they are another way to increase your savings. They require a little bit of work and you have to make sure that you follow all of the instructions and guidelines on the rebate form and the fine print at the bottom of the form.

This is another case where organization helps. I try to paper clip the receipts to the paperwork in the event I don't have all of the requirements needed or time to fill it out immediately. I also try to clip any UPC's that are required before I put the items away from my shopping trip. I used to make copies of all of my receipts and forms. I generally only do this on higher value rebates like $10 or higher.

Rebates are becoming easier to submit via the Internet. Staples is a great example of easily submitting rebates on-line using codes that print out on your receipt. I was able to do this recently also with a Starbucks coffee purchase. I just had to submit pictures, that we took with a cell phone, of the receipt. It can still take 4-6 weeks for these electronic ones to be processed and to receive your check, but not having to pay postage is another savings!

Do you submit rebates on a regular basis? Do you have any tips for keeping everything together?

 

No comments: