Sunday, January 6, 2013

Frugal Living Tip #6 - Shop From Bulk Bins

Shop From Bulk Bins



Photo credit Simply Shari's

Have you ever paid attention to the per pound price for items that you purchase? You may be able to save money by shopping from the bulk bins. I have found the bulk bins to be a great place to save money on items like nuts, dried fruit, grains, and spices. It is also great if you only need a small amount of an item or want to try out something new and don't want to buy an entire package.

 

 

I first discovered the bulk bin savings about 12 years ago when I was making a a dish of poppy seed chicken for about 50 people. The recipe (when changed from 6 servings to 50 servings) required close to 1 cup of poppy seeds. I was floored when I was in the grocery store and realized how much it was going to cost to buy enough in the little bottles found in the spice aisle. I ended up at Ellwood Thompson and found it in the bulk bins for a fraction of the price. I can't remember how much I ended up paying, but I remember it being a dramatic savings!


Do you normally shop from the bulk bins and if so what do you buy?

 

1 comment:

Miriam said...

I sometimes get nuts and seeds from the bulk bins at Kroger; it is much cheaper that way.