Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Frugal Living Tip #23 - The Grocery Game

The Grocery Game

I am going to start off with my disclaimer- I am in no way being paid or receiving any compensation for this post.

With that said there may be many of you who are familiar The Grocery Game (TGG). I am copying a description of what they provide from their site.

The Grocery Game, launched in 2000, is the oldest and largest grocery savings website in the U.S. We provide members with weekly online, all-in-one lists (called Teri's Lists) of tens of thousands of grocery deals at over 150 local grocery and drug stores, coast to coast.

Teri's Lists track more important information than ANY site out there, matching sales with manufacturers' coupons, online printable coupons, coupons found in newspaper inserts and manufacturer coupons that can be sent to store loyalty cards. We are also the only site to track almost impossible to find unadvertised sales as well as sales trends.

The great thing about TGG is that they already have the deals figured out for you. You can choose how you want to view your list, items can be broken down the percentage of saving, or by the color codes based on items that are free, stock-up prices, or just buy what you need prices. I also like that you can remove items you don't shop for like baby or pet items. It really is a matter of just browsing the list, checking off what I want, and then the list tells me where to find the coupons. It gives me links to printable ones and to ones that I need to add to my store card. I already file my weekly inserts so I just have to grab the file, find the insert, and clip what I need.

When there is a promotion that you need to buy certain items, such as Buy 10 save $5, it tells me that it is part of that sale so that I get the right number. It also keeps me aware of the requirements for the coupon. If the coupon is a save $1 off 2, TGG tells me to buy 2 items.

The one downfall is that the site is not great at posting or sharing other promotions that manufacturers may have, such as Catalina deals when you buy certain products.

There is a fee for subscribing to TGG - it is $10 for the first store and $5 for each additional every 8 weeks. Personally, I tried every store in my area during the free trial period, then decided to only keep Kroger. I figure that it has easily allowed me to save more than an additional $10 every 8 weeks.

I have found that TGG can really help people that are first learning how to coupon because it makes it easy to see what is a good deal and where to find the coupons. If you haven't tried it out before, look into subscribing for a 4 week free trial. (Just make sure to make a note of when it ends so you don't get charged if you don't want to keep it, or all of the stores you signed up for.). If you would like to help me get some "free weeks" leave a comment with you e-mail address and I will give you mine for a referral credit. Don't worry all comments left here go to me to approve before posting, so it won't be made public. :)

Have any of you tried or currently use TGG? How do yo feel it compares to other free sites such as blogs and deal sites?

1 comment:

Miriam said...

I *loved* The Grocery Game!! It was so easy to use and was the easiest and most thorough way to coupon out of all the other coupon-match-up blog posts I read for the stores I went to.