Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Frugal Living Tip #37 - Pay With Cash

Pay With Cash

I have a confession to make. I talk about saving money on all kinds of things, but I like to get my nails done. There is just something about having a manicure and a pedicure that makes me feel pretty even on the days when I barely get out of yoga pants.

Now you are wondering what on earth does this have to do with today's frugal tip. Even though I am going to the nail place in the mall to get a pedicure - I make sure I have cash on hand. They give me a punch on my punch card, and when I have 5 punches I get 2 free nail designs.

Nail places aren't the only place that you can receive a savings by offering to pay cash instead of using plastic (retailers have to pay a transaction fee whenever they process a card, even a debit card). You can bargain yourself down on a furniture purchase or a car purchase. (You can also work it out to bring in a cashier check so that you don't have to carry around large sums of money.) The other great thing about paying cash for big purchases - you aren't acquiring debt, or paying extra interest.

Have you ever asked for a discount if you pay upfront in cash for the entire purchase? What are some places that you can save a little by paying with cash?

No comments: